Mobile Devices and IPv6. How Goes? – Windows Phone 8.1

Way back in September 2012 I built a lab for supporting IPv6, and running basic connectivity tests for mobile devices:
http://mobilitydojo.net/2012/09/18/mobile-devices-and-ipv6-how-goes-part-i/

The conclusion back then was that iOS supported IPv6, Android was very dependent on the build you had on your device, and Windows Phone didn’t support IPv6. Well, it sort of supported it, but in a half-baked way. I was able to have a Windows Phone 8.0 device acquire an IPv6 address through DHCPv6, but never got it working for any practical purposes since it didn’t support SLAAC. Short recap, (read the original blog post for all the details), SLAAC was required back then in a Windows environment to actually get online. I don’t know if this is different with Windows 8.1/2012 R2.

In the spirit of re-testing scenarios as technology evolves I used the same setup for trying to access the IPv6 Internet on a Lumia 920 upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview.

I can now happily report that this seems to be working as evidenced by the following tests:
http://ipv6-test.com
WP81_IPv6_01
WP81_IPv6_02

http://test-ipv6.com (A mix of English & Norwegian, I know…)
WP81_IPv6_03

Note that the device still does not support SLAAC (at least according to the test), but as long as it gets online I can live with that. The IPv6 address reported is the one assigned by DHCPv6, and I’m not able to list any other addresses the device has acquired in an easy way.

I guess this means we can check off another operating system on the good to go list for IPv6 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*